Friday, February 20, 2009

Uh...yummmmm

Ok....so we didn't actually eat dessert first but since the pict appeared first when I uploaded it I'll leave it there. This is apparently a famous American treat called Icebox cake. My Mom always made a different kind of icebox cake that I love. It consists of chocolate pudding layered between gram crackers and topped with Coolwhip.

This one is equally as good and actually has much more of a cake consistency. You but those very thin, old fashioned chocolate cookies and layer them between home made whip cream. The box has the recipe and shows it in a log form but I decided to make two individual "cakes." I also opted to add a little almond extract to the whip cream which turned out to be the right thing to do. You have to let it sit in the fridge for at least 8 hours but you can also make this the day before serving. This is where the magic happens. Somehow those crispy little cookies become cake and it looks and tastes like you bakes many tiny layers of a really good chocolate cake.

I topped with strawberries that I cut up ahead of time and let sit in the fridge with a little superfine sugar to draw out their juice. It was slightly reminiscent of an Oreo flavor in the end but way better! (and I love Oreos!)
Our actual meal (and this was our Valentines meal. We usually cook at home on V-day and go out another night.) consisted of the best asparagus I've ever had. I feel  slightly guilty buying it out of season, knowing it was shipped here from somewhere far far away, but this stuff was so tasty and actually sweet it was well worth the guilt. Here they are slightly pan sauteed in olive oil and salt. That's all.
And the most complicated, but still surprisingly simple part of the meal was seafood risotto. Awesome. Enough said. Contact me if you want the details.

1 comment:

Penny said...

I toldja Ma Penny made that icebox cake, good stuff. Asparagus & clams=both are aphrodisiacs (supposedly). Happy valentines;p